On Air Now Alex Cann 6:00am - 11:00am
Now Playing Elvis Presley Moody Blue

Saddleworth Whit Friday band contests cancelled again

Saddleworth's legendary Whit Friday Brass Band Contests have been cancelled for the second successive year, because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Known as 'the greatest free show on earth', the annual event usually attracts visitors from far and wide as local, national and international bands compete. 

The Whit Friday Brass Brand Contests in Saddleworth and Oldham had to be cancelled for only the second time since first starting way back in 1884 last year. 

Group Co-ordinator Bob Rodgers said it would be 'foolhardy and dangerous' to go ahead with the event which was scheduled for 28 May, given the current situation regarding Covid-19. 

In a statement on their website, he said: "It is with great regret that the Saddleworth and Oldham Group of Whit Friday Band Contests, with the backing of Oldham Council Officers, have taken the difficult decision to cancel the 2021 event on 28th May.

"Having taken into account the current and projected situation regarding Covid-19, they are of the opinion that it would be irresponsible to stage this year’s contests.

"Vaccine protection will not be complete and an organised gathering of people, whilst in various stage of protection, would be considered foolhardy and dangerous. We must support all the Emergency services who have enough problems without our event adding to the extra burden.

"We have also taken into consideration the fact that bands will have had little or no chance to rehearse and to travel in a ‘Covid safe’ manner would be impossible.

"It was never anticipated this pandemic would last so long, but hopefully we can get back to something like normality in time for 10th June 2022."

More from Oldham Reporter

Weather

  • Fri

    17°C

  • Sat

    14°C

  • Sun

    14°C

  • Mon

    16°C